Wild Mediterranean Food Bowl with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Nourishing Food Bowl
Colorful and abundant in flavors and textures – this Wild Mediterranean Bowl is as vibrant as the Mediterranean itself. Nutty quinoa is the base for nourishing toppings like roasted sweet potatoes and crunchy shaved brussels sprouts, and Mediterranean specialties – briny and meaty Kalamata olives and Halloumi cheese that’s pan-fried to a crisp golden brown. Homemade roasted red pepper pesto takes the flavors and colors of the bowl to the next level. Nutritious, filling, and brimming with flavor, this dish is sure to delight your tastebuds.
½oz Fresh basil
2oz Halloumi cheese
4oz Brussels sprouts
1 Sweet potato
1tbsp Pine nuts
6oz Roasted red peppers
1 Garlic clove
1tbsp Parmesan cheese
2oz Kalamata olives
Preheat oven to 450°.
– Remove the stems from the basil and discard stems. Place the leaves in the bowl of a food processor.
– Peel and finely chop the shallot; set aside.
– Cut the halloumi cheese into ½-inch cubes; set aside.
– Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and then thinly slice. Place into a medium bowl and add 1 teaspoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Toss until well combined; set aside.
COOK THE QUINOA
In a small saucepot over medium-high heat, bring 1½ cups of water to a boil.
– Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and keep warm until plating.
– Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl. Toss with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of each salt and pepper.
– Place sweet potatoes on a sheet pan lined with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
MAKE THE RED PEPPER PESTO
In the bowl of the food processor with the basil, add the pine nuts, roasted peppers, garlic, parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
– Pulse until the pesto is well blended and has a smooth consistency. Set aside.
FRY THE HALLOUMI
Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a small nonstick sauté pan over medium heat.
– When the oil is hot, add the halloumi and pan fry about 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside.
– Using the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
– When the oil is hot, add the shallot and spinach. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
– Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
Divide the quinoa evenly between two bowls.
– Side by side, top the quinoa with the sweet potatoes, spinach, Brussels sprouts, halloumi cheese, kalamata olives, and shallots.
-Top the Mediterranean bowls with the red pepper pesto, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
– Serve and enjoy!