Sprouted Maple French Toast with Cinnamon Butter and Strawberries
The sweeter side of breakfast doesn’t have to be heavy to be delicious. This twist on classic French toast uses sprouted Ezekiel bread. The whole grains are a great source of protein and fiber, and they lend a great texture and nutty flavor that pairs well with the cinnamon custard. Mouthwatering cinnamon butter adds another layer of flavor and slight richness, and sliced strawberries provide a brightness that brings it all together. Perfect for lazy weekend mornings but quick enough to put together on a Monday, this French toast is a great way to start the day.
½stick Unsalted butter
4tsp Coconut sugar
2tsp Vanilla extract
2tsp Ground cinnamon
½cup Unsweetened almond
4slices Ezekiel bread
½cup Maple syrup
Place the butter on the counter and let it sit until softened.
– Remove and discard the tops of the strawberries. Cut the strawberries in quarters; set aside for garnish.
– In a medium bowl, add 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk until soft.
– Add only 2 teaspoons coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure not to overmix. Set aside.
GO FOR A DIP
In another medium bowl, add the eggs, almond milk, and remaining coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix to combine well and transfer to the large baking dish. Set aside.
– Dip and coat the sprouted bread in the batter and allow the bread to soak for 2 minutes.
COOK THE FRENCH TOAST
Heat a large sauté pan with the remaining butter over medium-high heat.
– Once the butter melts, carefully place the toast in the pan and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
SERVE AND ENJOY
Place the French toast in the center of two plates.
– Top with the cinnamon butter and sliced strawberries. Serve with maple syrup on the side.