Stella’s Paleo-Style Moussaka
This Paleo Moussaka recipe is one of the most versatile dishes you can make for lunch, dinner, and even breakfast. Triple up on the recipe and freeze for extras.
2 large eggplants, sliced 1/4 inch
6 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch pieces, lengthwise
2 large onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 pound lamb, bison, beef, turkey or chicken (choose your favorite)
16 ounces chopped Italian tomatoes (citric acid-free is best)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Sea salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon thyme
4 tablespoon almond flour
1.5 cups 2% Greek yogurt (so you know, yogurt isn’t technically “paleo”)
3 organic eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the eggplant, zucchini, onion, and bell peppers into 1/4 inch pieces lengthwise and place on an oiled baking sheet so the vegetables are scattered evenly.
3. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Pay careful attention here not to burn the vegetables. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. While the vegetables are baking, take a medium skillet and cook the ground meat over medium-high heat, seasoning with the garlic, oregano, thyme, sea salt, and pepper, until cooked through approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Oil a large baking dish with a bit of olive oil and begin the layering process with eggplant first, followed by the zucchini, onions, then the meat sauce. Reverse the step by step with remaining zucchini, onions, and finally the eggplant on top.
6. To make the béchamel: add the almond flour, olive oil, yogurt, and the eggs; mix until well combined. Top the large baking dish with the
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Allow sitting for at least 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!