Braised Chicken Thighs with Olives and Kale
The aromas and flavors of this dish will make it seem as if you’ve been slaving in the kitchen all day, but you won’t have to wait even an hour to take a bite! Garlic, onion, and bright white wine come together as the perfect sauce for juicy chicken thighs to braise in. Tuscan kale, full of nutrients and vitamins, adds texture, kalamata olives, with it’s smoky and fruity flavors, add depth, and a little maple syrup rounds out the dish, adding a slight sweetness to balance out the bold flavors.
½ Yellow onion
2 Garlic cloves
1.4oz Kalamata olives
1 cup Chicken broth
4 Chicken thighs (16 oz)
1½tsp Ground paprika
1 cup white cooking wine
¼oz Fresh thyme
6oz Chopped kale
1tbsp Maple syrup
-Peel and dice only HALF the onion into ½-inch pieces; set aside.
– Finely chop garlic cloves; set aside.
– Cut kalamata olives in quarters lengthwise and set aside.
PREPARE THE CHICKEN
-Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and cut into ½-inch pieces. Transfer to a plate.
– Season with paprika and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
-Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 3-inch deep sauté pan over medium-high heat.
– Place chicken in the pan and brown for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown; transfer to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
– In the same sauté pan, add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown – about 2 minutes.
– Return the chicken to pan, add chicken broth, white cooking wine, kalamata olives, and ONLY 2 thyme sprigs; bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
-Remove the lid and add the kale and maple syrup. Let the sauce cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.
-Divide the braised chicken and olives with kale between two plates.